Saturday 20 August 2011

R.I.P my little brother


Douglas Wayne Richardson.
A life faded out too quickly. :-(

Friday night i got the worst phone calls from my step-sister, Heidi. My 15yo brother Douglas had been hit by a car and was in a bad way. I was shaken up and prayed so hard for him to be okay. Worried, i raced to my computer to get people praying and hoping for the best. I don't know why but i checked the Queensland police service page and saw a report on the accident. . . I wasn't prepared for this. All it stated was that a young male had been struck by a car and was pronounced dead at the scene. I didn't want it to be true but when do the police ever report something like that when Its not accurate information? Not ever that i know of! Friends and family were telling me he was revived and it was touch and go. He was on the way to the hospital. But didn't the report say He was pronounced dead? Surely they wouldn't pronounce it and then revive him. I called my poppy (one of the most incredible men i know and love) and tried keeping him updated with What i knew. The whole family was unbelievably worried.

I called the hospital, no Douglas Richardson there. They put me through to the police (not a good sign I'm thinking) and the officer i spoke to said due to the nature He couldn't tell me anything over the phone, police were still at the scene of the accident. Now I'm really worried but starting to brace myself for the inevitable. I tried calling my best friend who was sick and in bed, she wasn't answering. Crap! I just wanted to know What was going on. My dad wasn't even going to go to the hospital, thinking it would only be minor. A couple hrs later, the police went around to my step-sister's house and confirmed the worse. Douglas had died.

My step-sister called crying. I knew it was true but with all my heart didn't want it to be. Part of me had accepted it when i first read the police statement that the young male hit had died but prayed it was just human error when being written. Heidi just kept saying she was so sorry. Poor girl was a mess but for now i was holding it together. I had my mum, sister and step-dad here (another absolutely amazing man), i had to tell them.

I called my poppy and gave him the bad news and called my brother who didn't know anything yet (him and i have the same mum, while Douglas and i have the same dad). Everyone was shocked and upset. This is something that always happens to everyone else, not us, not our family. It just didn't seem real. I can't imagine How my family near Douglas was feeling. The pain was hard enough for me.

Later, details of What actually happened emerged. Douglas was riding a push scooter along a road leading from Mount Morgan towards Rockhampton when He was struck by a car. He then went into the path of an oncoming car and was hit again and became trapped under that vehicle. While emergency services fought to free him no one could tell us How He was. It took hours. We may never know How it happened, who was at fault or why Douglas and his 2 friends were along that stretch of road in the first place. All we know is we lost someone close to us.

I felt numb for so long. Finally i was able to get a hold of my best friend and she said she would come stay with me the following day. That's helped keep me distracted, until everyone is asleep of course. Then my mind goes into over drive. So far I've slept about 3hrs for the past 2 nites. I'm a Damn zombie. I've been awake now since around 2am and it's nearing 5.30am. I hate not being able to sleep, i just lay here and cry. Why Did it have to be him? He was too young, a kid full of passion and love for his family. He was amazing in every way even when his rebellious streak was on display.

We'll miss u forever Douglas. One day we'll see Each other again but until then part of my heart is missing. Rest in peace Hunni and know we will always love and think of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment